Historical Data Overview
We deliver historical AIS positions and port calls.
The source of historical data may be Terrestial AIS receivers or Satellite AIS receivers.
- Data is delivered in CSV format.
- For each position we provide:
LON, LAT, VESSEL MMSI, STATUS, SPEED, COURSE, HEADING and TIMESTAMP (UTC)
- For each port call we provide:
PORT ID, PORT NAME, VESSEL MMSI, TIMESTAMP, ARR/ DEP
- We may also provide additional vessel parameters, e.g. vessel name, type, dimensions, flag, etc.
- Time resolution of data depends on a number of parameters at the specific point and time.
- For a moving vessel you should expect at most an update every 2 minutes.
Apply for Historical data
Learn more about historical data costs and usage by logging in to MarineTraffic.
You will find all you need right here!
You will also be able to apply for data you are interested in.
If you do not have an account with MarineTraffic, you may register to a free plan here.
Tips for efficient data mining
- Define the parameters of your data selection as fully as possible.
- Define whether you are interested in historical positions or port calls.
- Are you interested in an area? Specify min/max LAT & min/max LON
- Are you interested in a period of time? Specify Date/Time From & Date/Time To
- Are you interested in vessels? Specify their MMSI or Name or IMO
- Are you interested in a port? Specify port name, country and, if possible, MarineTraffic port ID number.
(note: the port ID number is included in the URL of the port page.)
- Specify whether you are interested in data from Terrestrial and/or Satellite receivers.
- Specify whether you need any additional vessel parameters (e.g. vessel name, type, dimensions, flag, etc.).
Cost of Historical data
Cost is a function of the volume of records delivered and of any extra processing that you may wish us to perform.